PASOS partners with ERC and CESD to create think tank alliance in Azerbaijan
News source: PASOS Secretariat, Czech Republic
PASOS has partnered with the Economic Research Center (ERC), the Center for Economic and Social Development (CESD), and several other Azerbaijani NGOs to establish the Azerbaijan Think Tank Alliance (ATTA).
The alliance will:
- Use resources jointly and share experiences;
- Conduct evidence-based research;
- Implement evidence-based advocacy strategies;
- Increase the role and involvement of think tanks in the decision-making process;
- Foster effective management by increasing the quality of products and services of think tanks;
- Adapt the products and services of think tanks to regional and international standards;
- Learn the best practices and experiences at both the national and international levels in this field and apply them in Azerbaijan;
- Build relationships with well-known and internationally recognized think tanks
Azerbaijan is currently facing a dramatic reduction in economic growth and the Azerbaijani government will soon find it difficult to continue its current campaigns to eliminate poverty and increase employment and access to social welfare, according to alliance organizers.
The alliance will help Azerbaijani think tanks acquire the necessary training and experience to write policy recommendations to international standards and effectively communicate them to the government. In doing so, it will create new opportunities for independent, non-governmental participants to join the policymaking process and make public administration in Azerbaijan more efficient.
Other members of ATTA are the Center for Economic and Political Studies, the Center for Assistance to Economic Initiatives, Balance Public Union, Eco-world Public Union, Human Rights Enlightenment Public Union, the Ganja Agrobusiness Association, the Caucasian Center for International Relations and Strategic Studies, the Intelligent Citizen Enlightenment Center, the Independent Consumers Union, “World of Law” Legal Propaganda Public Union, the Social Problems Center of the Dilara Aliyeva Association for the Protection of Women’s Rights, and Uluchay Social-Economic Innovation Center.
The alliance is part of the project “Enhancing the effectiveness of government by strengthening the role of think tanks in the decision-making arena,” a program funded by the European Union.