Wider and Closer: A PASOS international conference
News Source: PASOS Secretariat, Czech Republic
Registration has opened for “Wider and Closer: Influencing EU Policy-Making to Foster Economic Integration and Democratic Development,” an international conference for think-tanks and policymakers to be held 17 October in Brussels.
Organised in association with the annual international think-tanks’ conference of the Policy Association for an Open Society (PASOS), the event is the largest annual gathering of independent think-tanks in Europe. “Wider and Closer” will include a series of panel discussions featuring leading policy and democracy experts and European Union officials and leaders.
Conference themes include:
- European Integration with South East Europe, Eastern Neighbours, and Central Asia:
- Time to Press the Re-Set Button?
- Wider European Democratic Development: Monitoring effectiveness of development co-operation and democracy assistance
- Open Government in South-East Europe and Implications for EU Enlargement Prospects
- Closer post-Crisis Economic Integration: New Policy Research as a Lever to Shaping More Effective Integration within and outside the EU
Confirmed speakers and panelists include: Nicola Bertolini, Head of Section, Regional Co-operation and Programmes, Western Balkans and Turkey, Directorate-General for Enlargement, European Commission; Patricia Flor, EU Special Representative for Central Asia; Jerzy Pomianowski, Executive Director, European Endowment for Democracy; Paul Maassen, Civil Society Co-ordinator, Open Government Partnership; and Monica Macovei MEP, Romania.
Experts from various members of the PASOS network of think-tanks will also participate. In addition, the winners of the PASOS Think Tank Awards 2013 will be announced and presented at the conference.
A live audio stream from the event can be accessed during the conference at this location.
The conference will be held at the Permanent Czech Representation to the European Union, 15 rue Caroly, in Brussels. A buffet lunch will be served at the conference for all attendees.